RAIN OR SHINE! Saturday afternoon October 22, 2005
You're never too dead to play.
On Saturday October 22, 2005, Graveyard Games will be in Washington, DC so you can meet the living and play with the dead. You're invited to the Historic Congressional Cemetery to get to know your local dearly departed, pay your respects, and learn Tombstone Hold 'Em — the secret poker game you can only play in a cemetery.1801 E Street Southeast) in D.C. between 2:00 PM and 2:30 PM.
2. Look for the tournament’s host near the main gate, off E Street. She’ll be holding a deck of cards. She will have further instructions and supplies for you.
3. Bring a single flower to place on a grave to show some respect, and to signal that you’re one of us.
4. Take a few minutes to explore your section of the cemetery. Look for any poker chips left on tombstones. You’ll need these to play.
5. Be sure to look for the grave of someone you can prove died on your birthday. You can use that tombstone as a Joker during the game.
6. Tournament begins at 2:30 PM. Learn the rules before you come if you’re serious about winning.
7. The winner is crowned at 3:30 PM. No fancy prizes, but lots of respect and maybe a special memento from Lucky's estate. And everyone can keep the chips they earn as a souvenir.
8. Stick around. You’re invited to Trusty’s Full Service just down the block (1420 Pennsylvania Ave. SE, Washington, DC 20003). Doors open at 4 PM, so raise a glass to the players you’re leaving underground at the Historic Congressional Cemetery.
See photos from San Francisco's Graveyard Games.