On Saturday November 12, 2005, Graveyard Games will be in Atlanta so you can meet the living and play with the dead.
You're invited rain or shine to historic Oakland Cemetery’s "most tangible link to the past" to get to know your local dearly departed, pay your respects, and learn Tombstone Hold 'Em — the secret poker game you can only play in a cemetery.
1. Arrive at the front gates of the Oakland Cemetery (directions and map for 248 Oakland Avenue, SE, Atlanta) between 2 PM and 2:30 PM local time.
2. Look for the tournament's host. She'll be holding a deck of cards and will have further instructions and supplies for you.
3. Bring a single flower to place on a grave to show some respect, and to signal that you're one of us.
4. Take a few minutes to explore your section of the cemetery. Look for any poker chips left on tombstones. You'll need these to play.
5. Be sure to look for the grave of someone you can prove died on your birthday. You can use that tombstone as a Joker during the game.
6. Tournament begins at 2:30 PM. Learn the rules before you come if you're serious about winning. We’ll have extra instructions on hands for any friends you bring along.
7. The winner is crowned at 3:30 PM. No fancy prizes, but lots of respect and maybe a special memento from Lucky's estate. And everyone can keep the chips they earn as a souvenir.
8. Afterwards, you’re invited to nearby Six Feet Under to raise a glass to the players you’re leaving underground at Oakland Cemetery.