This is my new project. I plan to execute it during my travels, beginning with upcoming installations in San Francisco (fortune cookies), Seattle (To Be Determined), Los Angeles (TBD), Amsterdam (stroopwaffels), Utrecht (TBD), Umea (TBD), Stockholm (TBD), London (TBD), New York City (black and white cookies), Vancouver (TBD) and Philadelphia (tastykakes).
project: the cookie is still rolling
artist: Jane McGonigal
platform: temporary, site-specific cookie installations
documentation: digital photography, digital videos, flickr, web site
project dates: 04.19.05 – present (and no end in sight)
the artist will spell out Camus’ existential essay “The Myth of Sisyphus” in cookies, one word at a time. each word will be installed in a public location and constructed from a different kind of cookie, locally-purchased or prepared. each word of the essay, 1406 in total, will appear in a different city. the project will continue indefinitely until the improbable event of its completion.
the temporary cookie installations will be documented through digital photography and video. The photos will be added to the Flickr database and the videos posted to the artist’s website.
1. the cookies must be purchased or prepared in the city.
2. the words must be constructed and installed in the exact order they appear in Camus’ essay.
3. the words must be installed in a local language.
4. the artist must eat a cookie at the site.
5. the artist must find a nearby hill or incline and roll a cookie down it.
6. no repeating cities. each word must be installed in a different city.
7. no repeating cookies. each word must be constructed out of a different kind of cookie.
As often as possible, I will bring additional local cookies home and host the cookie is still rolling update parties where you can come to my apartment, eat the cookies, and check out the latest photos and videos.